zondag, april 27, 2008

1979

(To my dutch speaking readers: Sweeping The Nation verzamelt veertig muxtapes die tezamen de popgeschiedenis van 1967 tot 2007 zullen samenvatten. Ik doe 1979. Voor een internationaal publiek, daarom is het onderstaande in een soort Engels. Waarover ik me geweldig onzeker voel. Haar, hààr dat daarop staat. Bossen.)

It's great to be 16 years old. And believe me, 1979 was a fantastic year to be 16. This Muxtape is the soundtrack of '79:

1. David Bowie - DJ. Never liked David Bowie. I mean: never liked Bowie the phenomenon. But everytime I hear Bowie on the radio, I find myself thinking: nice song.

2. B-52's - Planet Claire. In 1979 new wave was the word. Everything was called new wave, even Tom Petty and Graham Parker and Dire Straits. B-52's were genuine new wave. The riff was borrowed. Peter Gunn I think.

3. XTC - Making Plans For Nigel. I've seen them live at Hammersmith Palais in 1980. Skin to skin with a thousand British punks who began doing the pogo the moment the music started. Never again.

4. Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi. Mock punk from my homeland. After thirty years one has to admit: better than the real thing.

5. Raymond Van Het Groenewoud - Prinses. According to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", the rudest word in the universe is Belgium. So let's stay there for a while. RVHG sings in Dutch.

6. Elvis Costello - Oliver's Army. More ABBA hits in 1979: Does your mother know, Gimme gimme gimme and Voulez-Vous.

7. Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown. I apologise for this one. Not what you call a hit really, but I like it very much. And it was released in 1979 anyway.

8. Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me. Back to the funny side of the street. There's a kind of warning on the LP-sleeve: Live at the Buddokan! Never buy a thing that's called Live at the Buddokan. But this single is OK.

9. Lowell George - Cheek To Cheek. Norah Jones and Pete Doherty were born in 1979, Lowell George died. Cheek To Cheek can be found on a marvelous LP called Thanks I'll Eat It Here, which may be about rijstpap. Do you know rijstpap? That's what dutch speaking people eat in heaven. Rijstpap with golden spoons.

10. Jona Lewie - Kitchen At Parties. Has anybody heard about Jona Lewie since let's say 1985? Is he still alive? Or is he eating rijstpap with golden spoons?

11. Madness - My Girl. Funny videos. Nice melodies. No nonsense. My kind of people.

12. M - Pop Musik. Overseeing my selection, I've neglected disco. Well, at 16 I wore a pin that said: "Geen Disco Aan Mijn Frisco". Untranslatable, but believe me: I didn't like disco at the time. But M's Pop Music has a beat, hasn't it?

Take a listen at my other Muxtape. It's all about demos.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Geert Simonis said...

I'll join ya in feeling hairy today: maybe you should put a sticker "Don't Panic" on your muxtape. In large, friendly letters.

27 april, 2008 13:25  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

I'd apologise for Cheap Trick, if at all.

27 april, 2008 13:41  
Blogger Phil said...

Beste Koen,
1979 was een goed ac/dc jaar (Highway to Hell album). Waarom geen ac/dc tracks? Of zijn die very un-pop? Stay tuned on the latest AC/DC news at http://acdcbelgium.blogspot.com!

Cheers! Phil

26 augustus, 2008 17:39  

Een reactie posten

<< Home